The Bark

The Student News Site of Meadville Area Senior High School

The Bark

The Bark

Summer Spirit!

Getty Images/iStockphoto
Sun With Sunglasses, With Gradient Mesh, Vector Illustration

The hottest temperature recorded in summer was in July of 1913 with a staggering 134 degrees Fahrenheit! One of my favorite hobbies is to watch movies and what better way to end the school year than review 3 perfect movies to watch in summer. I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997), Teen Beach Movie (2013), and Aquamarine (2006). 

I Know What You Did Last Summer is set 1 year after running over a fisherman and then disposing of the body by throwing it in the water, 4 friends are brought back together to reminisce that fateful night when Julie (Jennifer Love Hewitt) gets a note staging that what they did a year ago was witnessed by someone. Barry (Ryan Phillippe) is run over by a man with a meat cook when he’s looking for the writer of the letter and more bloodshed is to come when the remaining 3 friends are chased after. I would rate it a 5/5 stars. Not only is it one of the best original 90’s slasher films and it puts you into the summer spirit with not only the atmosphere but being chased by a random unsuspecting man also keeps you on edge. It’s loosely based on a 1973 novel also named the movie title and the script was written before Scream 1996 but not filmed until the success of Scream was seen.

Another great summer mood booster is by watching the classic Teen Beach Movie. I would rate it a good 4/5 stars. 2 young teen surfers are swept away by a wave that brings them to the world of the 1960s film “Wet Side Story”, them being their messes up the original plot and in order to go home, they must set the plot to the correct intended course. I vividly remember watching this movie when I was younger and it’s so crazy to think that it’s been almost 11 years since it was first released. The beach is also very nostalgic of the summer and the same thing with the amount of time surfing is emphasized. A cool fact is that all of the actresses are wearing high waisted bikini bottoms because it was not socially acceptable for girls’s belly buttons to be shown. It was also the only Disney channel original movie released in 2013. 

Finally, Aquamarine is a fantastic movie to watch, it makes you not only want to swim but it also reminds you of watching H20. I would rate it a 5/5 stars. 2 teen girls come to the realization that mermaids are real when one washes ashore due to a storm and her name is Aquamarine. The mermaid wants to prove true love is real to her father by having the 2 teen girls help her win the hearts of a lifeguard. It was one of the first mermaid movies I’ve ever watched and I have never been able to forget it since, especially with summer coming up and I always wanted the starfish earrings. Sara Paxton (played Aquamarine) had to be to hair and makeup by 4 am due to her makeup and hair taking 2 and a half hours then another 2 and a half hours for her tail to be fitted. Sara Paxton also had to do a month of intense swimming lessons so that she could play the role of the mermaid. Sara Paxton’s tail weighed over 100 pounds and it was 8 feet long!

In summary, being on summer break comes along with so much free time that some may begin to get bored and the perfect way to help the time go by is by watching I Know What You Did Last Summer, Teen Beach Movie, and Aquamarine.